Hiring a World-Class Marketer and Storyteller
Acumen is hiring a Director of Marketing and Communications. Below, Acumen’s Chief Innovation Officer Sasha Dichter describes what this role means and what he is looking for.
What could be better than hiring the right person for a transformative job, one that allows them to use their skills, their passion, their energy and their knowledge to change the world?
I’m looking for someone to run all of marketing and communications at Acumen. “Marketing” in the fullest sense of the word, the way Seth describes it as “transform[ing] the way you and your organization spread your ideas, engage with customers and most of all, think about what you make and why.”
I deeply believe that Acumen has a powerful story to tell. And I know that telling this story in the right way to the right people won’t only be transformative for us as an organization, it will help the world understand that intractable problems can be solved, it will shift global conversations about dignity and inequality and connection, it will demonstrate the potential of a new breed of values-based leadership.
I’m guessing that the right person for this job has around 15 years of professional experience; is a thinker and a doer and a troublemaker in the best sense of the word; is someone who cares deeply, synthesizes easily, learns quickly. You don’t have to be an expert in poverty or international development, but you do have to be a truth-seeker who cares about this work in real way.
Even if you’re not this person, I bet you know someone who knows someone who…..you get the idea. So please spread the word.
I can’t wait to read the applications, because I know that I’ll be surprised and delighted and that I’ll learn a lot from all of you. (If you do apply, please take a risk and shine).
Here’s the full job description, so you can just forward this post to the right people.
Or forward this link: http://acumenfund.theresumator.com/apply/KenPu7
Acumen – Director of Marketing and Communications
Acumen is hiring a Director of Marketing and Communications, a seasoned marketer who thrives on taking the complex and making it meaningful, visceral, understandable, and personal. We believe we have an important story to tell about the transformative impact we, and the world, can have on poverty. It is a story of innovation, of possibility, and of human dignity.
You are someone who cares about the problems of global poverty and of inequality, and you bring world-class talent as a marketer, a communications professional, and a storyteller and a thinker. You understand that the future of marketing is about trust and relationship-building, about how an organization can represent and transmit a set of values in everything it does. You are energized by the idea of digging in deep to understand what Acumen has to offer, and you have the skills and relationships to bring the latest thinking, tools, ideas and action to sharing our unique story with the world.
About the Role
Reporting to the Chief Innovation Officer, this role requires:
- World-class marketing and storytelling experience. You have more than a track record in marketing, brand management, communications and storytelling. You understand that marketing ultimately is about creating meaningful connection that drives action, and that a catalytic approach will accelerate the impact of our work by creating broader and deeper understanding of our values, our progress and our impact. This will help us continue to lead our sector and be a beacon for what is possible in the fight on global poverty. The chops you bring are in managing or advising big or upstart brands, in thinking strategically and in telling stories. You are digitally native or know how to find and manage talented people who use video and online tools to create change.
- Demonstrated capacity to develop, refine and transmit Acumen’s message to key stakeholders—our Partners, our Advisors, our peers, and our community around the world. You are skilled in taking a rich, complex message and boiling it down to its essence. Better yet, you have the audacity, imagination and skills to activate our teams around the world to systematically discover, raise up and share important and inspiring stories—stories from from the slums of Kenya, from the mountains of Pakistan, from smallholder farmers in Ghana or from the poorest state in India—to teach our community and the world about how to make real and lasting change in the fight on global poverty.
- Strategic thinking, solutions design and internal/external evangelism. You are a highly strategic thinker, comfortable with sophisticated financial products and interested in the nuances of poverty alleviation, who will mine the richness of all we are learning and empower our global organization to share what we are learning in more exciting and visceral ways.
- Exceptional writing and communications skills. You will ultimately have the final word on all external and internal communications by Acumen and will serve as a key advisor to Acumen’s Management Committee and to the CEO. You must be a strong writer who is comfortable managing and representing the multiple voices of Acumen.
- A deep commitment to our mission. We are looking for a leader with evidence of empathy, passionate curiosity, and a commitment to helping others. You have a demonstrated interest in creating large-scale change, and you have relevant exposure to work in the social sector, whether locally or globally.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Evolve Acumen’s current marketing and outreach to create much stronger connection to and relationship with the Acumen brand and the values it represents. Strengthen Acumen’s positioning as a go-to source for ideas on the role of patient capital in fighting global poverty.
- Enhance Acumen’s brand salience, brand engagement, brand congruence and brand velocity. Help our key stakeholders understand what we do, why we do it, and how it’s relevant to them. Ensure that they feel heard, and that they can meaningfully engage with Acumen and with our work. Invite leading-edge thinkers into our work to ensure we stay highly relevant and innovative. Create experiences that uniquely amplify our message and draw partners to us in a deep and meaningful way.
- Create a system to surface, develop and publish compelling stories based on our work. Drive discovery of the best thinking at Acumen (using new or old forms of technology) and quickly transform these insights into stories that can be used to accelerate the work of Acumen’s Business Development team, our Communications team, the Office of the CEO, and Acumen’s Country Leaders, accelerating our ability to raise funds, to share what we are learning, and to influence a broader conversation about new ways to solve seemingly intractable problems.
- Oversee global communications, including all press and PR across all of Acumen’s geographies and all of Acumen’s digital properties (including video and online fundraising). You will lead and manage the team responsible for sharing our best front-line thinking and insights across five regions, whether through Op Eds and external media, thought pieces that move the conversation in our sector, or materials for communications with Acumen’s key funders, Advisors and Board members.
- Provide direct support to Acumen’s CEO, Jacqueline Novogratz, and work with the Chief of Staff to the CEO to ensure maximum impact of her communications—whether written, in the press, or in public speaking opportunities. Continue to position Acumen’s CEO as a key thought leader in development and social enterprise, positioning her for increased visibility in global conversations on the role of capitalism, philanthropy and markets in creating a more inclusive economy.
- Lead a matrixed global team of eight, including a core team of four professionals based in New York
Qualifications & Characteristics
Passion, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just a few of the things that Acumen team members have in common. They also share a commitment to, and enthusiasm for, the organization’s mission and business model, coupled with respect for our core values: generosity, accountability, humility, audacity, listening, leadership, integrity, respect.
Ideal candidates for this role also have:
- 15+ years of work experience, ideally a blend of private, social or non-profit sector.
- Highly creative, comfortable with ambiguity, interested in big, thorny questions.
- Strong network of relationships with thought leaders in your space, and the capacity to effectively enlist and engage leading thinkers and doers to support our work.
- The ability to thrive in an ambiguous environment, provide leadership and direction to the team when there are curve balls, and to lead with inspiration, resilience and resolve.
- High capacity to collaborate across matrixed teams, as well as the ability to exert influence both with and without formal authority.
- Eagerness to travel globally across the developing world (anticipated 10-20% travel).
- Permanent authorization to work in the United States.
Acumen offers competitive compensation for the international development sector, commensurate with experience. Compensation includes a base salary, an annual bonus based on achievement of individual and organizational goals, health insurance, and an employer-sponsored contribution to a defined contribution retirement program.
This role is based in Acumen’s New York City office at 15th Street and 9th Avenue.
Please apply online through this link to submit your resume and answer the following two questions. Feel free to have your written responses refer to websites / videos / published work online.
- Introduce yourself
- Describe three brands you have worked on and what you did to make them succeed
Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, so candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.