This post originally appeared on the D.light blog — Let there D.light! — on November 15, 2010.
But what does two million actually mean?
Today we made a big announcement: As of this month, d.light has officially impacted two million people in over 40 countries around the world! This comes only eight months after we hit the one million mark, and at the rate we’re growing, three million is just around the corner. We are extremely proud of this achievement, and I am grateful for all the support that has allowed us to get here.
Two million is a big number, so I asked members of our team to crunch some data to give us context for what kind of impact we’re talking about here. The numbers they came up with are, to say the least, very encouraging.
Two million lives impacted by d.light means:
Healthier, Safer Homes
- Hundreds of thousands of households with reduced indoor air pollution, and reduced risk of developing respiratory infections
- At least 34,483 burns from kerosene fire prevented (Source: Footprint Network)
- At least 800 lives saved from deadly kerosene or candle fires (Source: WTO)
Improved Educational Outcomes for Children
- 400,000 or more children have upgraded to solar lighting for studying, which means that they are studying at least 1-4 hours more per night. That is a lot more tests passed, homework assignments completed, and books read! (Source: d.light field research)
- 400,000 is 18 times the number of students attending Harvard University
Revolutionary Change in Economic Circumstances
- USD60 million in savings for families who are no longer reliant on kerosene (Source: d.light field research)
- USD65 million in increased productivity – this is 12 times the 2009 profit of Grameen Bank! (Source: UNDP, d.light field research)
- In total, this means an additional USD135 million in the pockets of poor rural families around the world, which can be put towards key expenditures like education, health care, transport, and communications.
Reduction in Global Carbon Emissions
- 82,618 tons reduction in carbon emissions (Source: UNFCCC)
- This is equivalent to the weight of more than eight Eiffel Towers, and the CO2 emitted by driving around the entire globe 9,283 times!
We started d.light to change the world, and the numbers above show how we are doing just that. But we know it’s only the beginning, and so we will continue working to bring life-changing solar solutions to all 1.6 billion people in the world without access to electricity.
Now on to the next million…
Sam Goldman is the Co-Founder and CEO of D.light Design.