Seen & Heard – What You Might Be Missing
Seen & Heard is a collection of recent headlines in the news about our world, our work, and the spaces and places in between. In each post, we also share a list of job openings at Acumen Fund and in our sector. Seen & Heard appears twice a month on the blog. For those of you who like keeping a pulse on the latest news as it’s happening, please consider following us on Twitter and Facebook! Finally, if you have ideas for how we can improve Seen & Heard, please don’t be shy and leave a comment below to let us know. Thanks for reading!
- Japan is struck by a 9.0 earthquake and tsunami. Click here for organizations you can support on the ground.
- Acumen Fund announces the East Africa Fellows Program. Applications due April 15th.
- Jacqueline Novogratz is named one of Newsweek’s 150 Women Who Shake the World and celebrates her birthday.
- Search for the Obvious launches a new challenge on maternal health. Submissions due April 17th.
Articles of the Week
AF and AF Family in the News
- Acumen Fund East Africa receives press on recent portfolio growth and the East Africa Fellows announce.
- The Economist discusses innovations in global agriculture productivity, highlighting Western Seed.
- The Gates Foundation blog publishes a post by Acumen Fund Innovation Manager, Catherine Casey, on healthcare in one of Africa’s largest slums.
- Roshaneh Zafar, Founder of Kashf Foundation, is featured by Newsweek as one of their 100 Women Who Shake Pakistan and is profiled in India Knowlegdge@Wharton.
- d.light is featured in Financial Times as part of their 2011 Boldness in Business Awards.
- A Huffington Post blog piece discusses India’s energy needs, highlighting d.light and Husk Power.
- Husk Power earns a feature in The Hindu’s Business Line on their impact in rural India, delivering electricity and beyond.
India in the News
- NYTimes reports on sanitation in India and impacts on women’s status.
- WSJ reports on the changing venture capital and private equity space in India.
- Livemint on the changing face of Indian philanthropy.
- BeyondProfit provides a data snapshot of medical providers in rural India.
Other Relevant Articles
- OPIC, the Overseas Private Investment Corporation, invites input for impact investing call for proposals
- An article on Kenya’s health system and the need for urgent reforms
- Google launches Google for Nonprofits to improve organizations’ online presence and efficiency of operations
- Craigslist founder starts CraigConnects to connect do-gooders and nonprofits
- The Economist critiques Michael Porter’s theory of shared value
Jobs at Acumen Fund
- India Health Portfolio Manager
- East Africa Portfolio Manager
- East Africa Portfolio Associate
- Pakistan Portfolio Consultant
- Health Portfolio Senior Associate
Other Jobs – Do you know people on the job market? Tell them about these other opportunities:
- Director - Foundation Strategy Group – San Francisco, CA
- Associate - Foundation Strategy Group – San Francisco, CA
- Communications Associate – Global Impact Investing Network – New York, NY
- IRIS Adoption Manager – Global Impact Investing Network – New York, NY
- Head of Business Development – Monitor Inclusive Markets – India
- Office Manager – Grameen Foundation India – Guragon, IN
- Senior Investment Officer – Calvert Foundation – Bethesda, MD
- International Portfolio Manager – Calvert Foundation – Bethesda, MD
Click here for previous versions of Seen & Heard.
Seen & Heard contributed by Taylor Ray, Business Development Fellow in Acumen Fund’s New York office.