Seen & Heard – What You Might Be Missing
Seen & Heard is a collection of recent headlines in the news about our world, our work, and the spaces and places in between. In each post, we also share a list of job openings at Acumen Fund and in our sector. Seen & Heard appears twice a month on the blog. For those of you who like keeping a pulse on the latest news as it’s happening, please consider following us on Twitter! Finally, if you have ideas for how we can improve Seen & Heard, please don’t be shy and leave a comment below to let us know. Thanks for reading!
- Are you ready to change the way the world tackles poverty? The Acumen Fund holiday campaign launched this week. Watch the stunning video, browse the landing page, and be sure to share it with your friends and networks!
- India’s microfinance crisis continues to develop. See below for article links.
- Acumen’s first-ever Annual Report was released for 2009/2010.
- Jacqueline addresses our community in her Fall 2010 Letter.
AF and AF Family in the News
- The Stanford Social Innovation Review publishes a case study on the Acumen Fund health portfolio
- The Chronicle of Philanthropy spotlights Acumen Fund, focusing on our international community of supporters
- AF and patient capital are discussed in the Huffington Post in an article on the business movement to end poverty
- AF and LifeSpring are mentioned in an Economic Times article on India emerging as the next social innovation hub and an article on India’s social entrepreneurs creating an “Infinite Opportunities Nation”
- D.light impacts 2 million lives!
- Ernest Darkoh of BroadReach interviews in a video for CNN International
- Ecotact wins an award from the African Minister’s Council on Water
Following India’s Microfinance Crisis:
- NYTimes: “India Microcredit Faces Collapse from Defaults”
- “Small Loan, Big Snag:” Financial Times reports on the crisis including an interview with Vijay Mahajan, president of India’s MFI Network
- David Roodman’s guide to Understanding India’s Microcredit Crisis
Other Noteworthy Articles:
- JP Morgan, the Rockefeller Foundation, and the Global Impact Investing Network release a new research report on impact investments as an emerging asset class.
- NYTimes reports on India’s urban explosion and immense housing challenges, yet companies in new sectors are creating a rural job rush.
- Social Capital: India stands to benefit a great deal from the social VC movement
- BBC’s inside look at the first human trial for a malaria vaccine
- Gates Foundation pledges $500 million towards financial security for the poor
Jobs at Acumen Fund
Other Jobs – Do you know people on the job market? Tell them about these other opportunities:
- Chief Executive Officer – Global Easy Water Products – Aurangabad, IN
- Chief Financial Officer – Global Easy Water Products – Aurangabad, IN
- Finance Manager – Ansaar Management Company – Lahore, PK
- Agribusiness Programs Manager – TechnoServe – New Delhi, IN
- Executive Director – Ashoka Changemakers – Arlington, VA
- Executive Assistant – Root Capital – Cambridge, MA
- Senior Director of Communications – Root Capital – Cambridge, MA
- Product Manager – Frontline SMS: Credit – Seattle, WA
- Web Site Volunteer – AyurVAID Hospitals – Banglore, IN (but can work remotely)
This edition of Seen & Heard contributed by Taylor Ray, Business Development Fellow in Acumen Fund’s New York office.